Thursday, March 04, 2010

New dress


I decided to make a dress that was different than any that I had seen. My main inspiration was a swimsuit. I know, it's an odd combination, but something about it just seemed right. I started cutting it out & putting pieces together. At first, it looked like a good idea. After a few stitches, I was beginning to wonder. I decided to reserve judgment until it was finished. Here it is.

3 comments:

Eggs In My Pocket / Yesteryear Embroideries said...

I love it! It is just pretty! It fits you well and it the two colors works great!Is it as comfortable as it looks? Sometimes when I make something to wear, it winds up not being as comfortable as I had hoped. Are you making you any more? Blessings,Kathy

Jane Smith said...

It's pretty comfortable, for a dress. LOL I need to tweak the pattern a tiny bit to make it have more room across the shoulders.

I'll have to look up the pattern number, but it's a basic princess style dress. I just top-stitched the triangle pieces without cutting the main pieces. Sort of a sectioned applique.

I used a serger because the material is a linen look, which ravels like real linen. The serger also made it go together super fast. Made it in a day, except for cutting & planning the triangle.

Jane Smith said...

I forgot to answer your last question. Sorry about that. I have a skirt & short sleeve jacket cut out, ready to mark & sew. It's very light denim, but machine embroidered flowers & butterflies all over it. The embroidery is done with variegated thread.

I have a lot more material to stitch up, but haven't made definite decisions on what I want to do with it.